Monday, October 22, 2007

That doesn't happen to me

Before I left for the ship in April I pulled a lump sum of money out of my savings account. I wanted to always have cash on hand and hopefully never have to worry about hunting down an ATM. Unfortunately plastic cards aren't of much use in some parts of the world. I withdrew more money than I needed. Even after staying two months longer than I thought I would, it was still more than enough. When I got back to Texas and was unpacking I threw the envelope of cash in my junk drawer and forgot about it. Last week my car wouldn't start. The timing could have been worse, since I'll be driving it 1066 miles next week. But the price hurt and caused me to despair a bit. I decided it was time to finally go through all the bank statements I'd been avoiding. I opened my junk drawer to grab my checkbook and found the envelope of cash. Just curious, so I counted it. It was exactly $8.45 more than the bill for my car. I counted it a few more times. Stuff like that doesn't happen to me, other people, but not me. I don't know why I was so surprised though. God has provided for me over and over again in ways that I can't explain. But this time it was tangible. I could hold it in my hands. It was humbling. Why does God who created the whole universe care about the boring details of my life? I don't know, but he does, right down to the number of little pieces of paper in an envelope. Matthew 6:25-34

1 comment:

Nadine said...

truly encouraged me there

Post a Comment