Monday, October 15, 2007

[04/14/06] Sneak preview...new video script


Millions of women are suffering alone with a hidden epidemic. It begins with pregnancy, but the excitement of motherhood turns to devastation. Days are spent in agonizing labor, and eventually the baby dies. The trauma of labor rips apart their insides, and they are left with nothing but the constant leaking of urine and a foul odor. They live in shame, hidden from the world. “They are treated like a dog, like they are nobody. They are rejected completely. They are really, really treated very bad. So which means they don’t even accept themselves as a person.” (Clementine Tengue, Mercy Ships Counselor)

When Mamie Johnson heard of a Mercy Ship docked in her hometown, she knew it was her only chance for a normal life. She attended a patient screening and was scheduled for a surgery onboard the hospital ship. Her condition is known as vesico-vaginal fistula, or VVF. Dr. Judith Goh explains how a hole, or fistula, forms in the birth canal. “The most common reason for fistulas are obstructed, neglected, prolonged labor. This is mainly due to lack of medical attention during labor. With the baby sitting in the pelvis for days, it causes a big pressure sore in the vagina, and the structures around the vagina, the bladder and the rectum…these structures are at major risk.” (Dr. Judith Goh, Mercy Ships Surgeon)

For seven years Mamie endured the humiliation of VVF, the loss of a child and the rejection of society. She searched and prayed for an end to her suffering. But she had no money, and no doctor could be found to help her. Mamie is admitted onto the Mercy Ships ward. Surrounded by women who have endured the same hardships, Mamie realizes she is not alone. Doctors Judith Goh and Hannah Krause perform the VVF operations, which offer far more than just a physical healing. “When they come in they’ve often suffered immensely with rejection from their family and they’ve lost their role in their family and in their community. With successful surgery a woman’s life can be changed completely.” (Dr. Hannah Krause, Mercy Ships Surgeon)

Mamie’s surgery lasts only a few hours. She spends the next two weeks recovering on the ward. Slowly the years of anguish and pain melt away. A burden is lifted, and life takes on new meaning. Clementine Tengue walks the patients through the process of emotional healing. “It’s like a new birth for them. It’s unbelievable. They have this shine upon their face. You can see, you can tell that they are very, very, very, very happy about the transformation and change in their life.” (Clementine Tengue, Mercy Ships Counselor)

Lives are changed on this hospital ship…and that’s reason to celebrate. The women dance through the ward, singing and giving thanks for the hope they’ve found. Each one is wearing a new outfit and headdress as a symbol of their new beginning. Now Mamie is ready to go home, and start her life again. She is welcomed back into her village. Her neighbors and family are amazed at the change in her life…the most obvious difference: the smile upon Mamie’s face. “I was feeling bad about myself. I used to sit alone and cry. I couldn’t go where I wanted to. I used to be crying. [How do you feel now?] I’m feeling fine. [Are you happy?] I’m happy. God alone knows the happiness I feel. I can’t even explain it.” (Mamie Johnson, Mercy Ships Patient)

No comments:

Post a Comment