Tuesday, October 16, 2007

[12/07/06] Basic Safety Training


Last week I took BST and learned all about fire fighting, CPR, first aid and survival at sea. It's a required course for anyone sailing with Mercy Ships, and that's gonna be me next year. Getting all dressed up in bunker gear and shooting fire hoses and extinguishers was fun. But I got really claustrophobic when I had my face mask on and then got blindfolded. It was hard to breathe and I almost freaked out a little, so they let me use my air tank. That was good because then I had to go find a 165 pound dummy and drag him out of a room. That dude was so heavy I thought I was going to burst. For survival at sea training we had to get into these ridiculous huge "Gumby" suits that keep you afloat and warm in water. We practiced jumping, huddling, paddling and climbing into the life raft. It was rather comical. The whole week was really fun and a good break from the routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment