Tuesday, October 16, 2007
[09/27/07] The white parade
I'm not used to being the center of attention. But it's impossible to blend in here. Everywhere I go I feel like I'm on parade. When I ride through the villages I wave out the window and little kids run towards me waving and screaming. It's the same when I ride the train, but that feels even more like a parade float. Why are people who don't know me so excited to see me? It's strange, but I don't mind. What does get old is the constant staring. The constant feeling that I'm constantly being watched. It's hard to ignore sometimes. People don't just glance, they stop in their tracks and follow me with their eyes until I'm gone. OK I know I'm different, but geez. Where I come from different is normal and most people don't give it any thought. Well I don't anyways. So it's very strange for me to be the subject of peoples' fascination. Even stranger when they say things like 'white girl white girl you my friend' or 'fine woman fine fine woman' or 'I love you I marry you.' I gotta laugh about it. It's just so weird to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment