Sunday, November 4, 2007

The grass is always greener


I started thinking about this phrase a few months ago when I was in Liberia. I was looking forward to getting off the ship and going back to certain freedoms and luxuries I'd been missing. But I knew once I left the ship part of me would soon be wishing I was back there. The grass is always greener on the other side. What I got to thinking about was that the saying doesn't go "The grass is always green..." It says "The grass is always greener..." which means it could quite possibly be green on both sides. Though it may seem greener on the other side, the challenge is recognizing the green on the side I'm on. So I made a point of appreciating my [symbolic] green grass while I was still in Liberia and on the ship. And while I was in Texas for a few weeks I determined to enjoy the green grass that was there. And now that I'm back in Florida I'm definietly missing certain parts of my life on the ship and in Texas, but the grass is green here too. Rather than romanticize where I've been or where I'm going, I'm making an effort to be thankful for today wherever I am and whatever my situation, because there's always something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment