Tuesday, October 16, 2007

[05/18/07] Adventures in sailing and roadtripping


On Monday the Africa Mercy sailed into Tenerife after a six day sail from Rotterdam. Four of those days were pretty rough. Constant rolling from side to side, sometimes up to 27 degrees! Walking in a straight line was impossible. I nearly rolled out of bed several times. At meals we had to eat while holding on to all our dishes to keep them from sliding off the table. We also learned to plant our feet so our chairs wouldn't slide across the dining room. It happened a few times. I only tried to shoot video once. I went up to deck 8 above the bridge to catch some of the big waves coming over the bow. It was insanely windy and wet up there. I managed to brace myself between some railings and got a few good shots before getting sprayed by a really big wave. It was fun, but scary. A couple days later we sailed into Santa Cruz de Tenerife on smooth crystal clear blue waters. While in Tenerife I rented a car with some friends and went to the volcano and drove all around the island. It's an amazingly beautiful and rugged place. Really shows God's creativity. So much variety on one little island. You can go from city to rainforest to dessert to tropical beach all in one day. We drove to a town that used to be only accessible by donkey. The road was so narrow and winding with a mountain wall on one side and a steep cliff on the other. It was kind of exciting, but mostly nerve-racking. Especially when passing big tour buses. We decided those bus drivers are either the bravest or stupidest people in the world. We're now sailing again. Next stop Liberia.

No comments:

Post a Comment