Tuesday, October 16, 2007

[08/07/07] Random acts of kindness

I went out to eat African food tonight on Jamaica Road, about a 15 minute walk from the ship. The road was extremely muddy, but I managed to keep nine of my toes clean. We ate at one of the "food is ready" places (referring to the sign they put outside when the food is ready). Tonight we had a choice between spicy red rice and meat or even spicier fufu and potato leaves. We chose rice. On the way back I stepped out onto what I thought was a solid piece of ground but was actually a very wet hole that swallowed most of my foot. I almost lost my shoe in there. Some guys had a good laugh at this silly white girl. A few squishy steps later I found a firm path to walk on, but it was practically in the middle of the road so I got splattered by some oncoming traffic. I didn't care anymore, I just kept moving. I stopped for a minute to wait for my friend and marveled at how ridiculous I looked. Far from inconspicuous. Then a lady across the street started "ssst ssst"-ing at me from inside her shop. I thought she wanted to sell me something. But then her daughter came out with a little pitcher of water and they waved me over and gave me the water so I could rinse my feet off. I offered her 5 Liberian dollars because who knows what they had to do to get that water. But she said no, so I just thanked her and went on my way. I wanted to say thanks for seeing me as a person. Not a white person or a rich person. Just a person with dirty feet who needed a wash. Thanks for empathizing and reminding me that it's the little things that count. A "small small" bit of thoughtfulness and generosity can go a long way. I needed reminding.

No comments:

Post a Comment