
Some people asked me if I was going to shoot video of the opening ceremony for the new clinic on Sunday. They asked in a way that said 'You should.' I had to convince myself that I wanted to go because otherwise I would have done it, but not with a good attitude. I knew I should. It's just better to want to. Anyways, I'm really happy I went now. We arrived about a half hour late. But the ceremony didn't start for another hour because we were waiting for the president to arrive. I didn't even know she was coming. But her name was on all the banners, programs, even the plaque on the new building. First the police came along with some UN troops and secret service guys. Soon the big black Benz with red, white and blue flapping flags swung around the corner. This was my second time shooting video of the president. It was much less hectic than when she visited the ship in May. After she gave a speech and cut the ribbon she toured the clinic. She was always surrounded by security and dignitaries, but at one point she walked within about two feet of me. And we made eye contact. Or at least she looked into my camera. Wow, it was one of those moments where my life flashed before my eyes and I wondered 'How in the world did I ever get here?' Not that I'm someone to get starstruck, but I am kind of in awe of this person just because of all the history she represents. It was surreal. [Click here to watch the video.]
No comments:
Post a Comment