Sunday, December 15, 2013
It's news to me too
Here is my newest newsletter I just sent out. Things are happening . . .
So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often seems like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. (2 Corinthians 4:16)
This verse has been very true for me over the past few months. Most of my plans have fallen apart, yet I’ve experienced God’s grace in the midst of disappointments; he’s led me down new paths and opened unexpected doors. New life is happening. In October I volunteered to help with an English exchange program sponsored by Wycliffe Associates. Fifteen missionaries from eight different countries came to Orlando for an intense six week language learning course. Knowing English is a huge asset in Bible translation, and it was very rewarding to get to know these missionaries, hear their inspiring stories and to help them improve their English skills.
During this time I was also continuing to coordinate and send work teams to Brazil from the Orlando office. It gradually became clear to me that my chances of returning to Brazil long-term were getting smaller and smaller. Wycliffe Associates made the decision to focus its resources on places that need new translation projects started, like Angola, and less on places that already have many projects in progress, like Brazil. This has been a difficult adjustment for me, as I’d had my heart set on going back to Brazil for so long. Right then, when it seemed all the doors were closing on me, I was invited to go on an English teaching trip to Brazil in January, an invitation which I quickly accepted. I’m excited about going back to Brazil, yet slightly sad because I know how hard it will be to leave again. Teaching English is a totally unexpected and slightly intimidating twist in my path, but the timing was too perfect to ignore. So I’m taking a leap of faith, and we’ll see if there could be more English adventures in my future. Please pray for me!
As my role in Brazil has been decreasing, the need for me to serve in Angola, a Portuguese speaking country in southern Africa, has been growing. Last year 30 previously unheard of languages were discovered there, and now several organizations are working together to begin translation work in these very remote areas. In February I’ll go to Angola (pictured at top) to serve as volunteer coordinator for a few months. Many construction projects are planned, and lots of volunteers will be coming my way. I’m excited for the chance to speak Portuguese and to coordinate work teams from right there on the field. I’m praying God will give me a heart for this new country, where I never imagined I’d set foot, but where I believe I can have a big impact. It’s been a long year of waiting, praying, expecting certain things to happen, letting go of those expectations, exploring new opportunities and trusting God’s purpose. Through it all your support and friendship has really kept me going. I couldn’t do any of this without you. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers this holiday season.

No comments:
Post a Comment