Thursday, June 19, 2008

That's life

One year ago I found out that my cousin Bill died in Iraq. A road-side bomb hit his humvee. I was in Africa when it happened. It was strange to be so removed from everything that was going on back home. But I was thankful in a way because it forced me to just keep moving. I couldn't dwell on emotions for very long. Life was going on and I had to keep up with it. Tonight my family got together and went out to honor our soldier. We toasted some beverages and reminisced. A gentleman from our church was sitting at the next table over. He and his wife had been regular supporters of mine during my volunteer days. But his wife wasn't there. She passed away yesterday.

When I got in my car to leave, the Coldplay song "The Scientist" was on. "Nobody said it was easy, it's such a shame for us to part..." But that's just part of life I guess. Whether it's painful or amazing or ordinary, that's life. I'm trying to embrace it. All of it, because it's all a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment