Sunday, May 10, 2015

Looking back, looking forward

My most recent newsletter...

Hello, dear friends and family! While the whole Northern Hemisphere started out 2015 by completely freezing over, I flew south to find summer in Brazil. I was so grateful for another opportunity to serve this beautiful country!

Indigenous Bible translators workshop, first day of class

TIB—“Tradutores Indígenas da Bíblia”—was my reason for going to Brazil. It’s a Bible translation workshop for indigenous people translating scripture into their mother tongues with the help of missionaries and experts from various different organizations. I was in charge of hospitality for the 50+ participants, making sure every person had a roof, mattress, sheets, towel, blanket, pillow, keys, fan, soap, etc. I loved all the organizing, planning and list-making I got to do! The best was being a part of something so impactful and so close to the heart of God, to see scripture appear in a language that it had never existed in before. 23 indigenous translators from 10 different language groups from all across Brazil participated. By the end of three weeks, each had a stack of Bible stories and DVDs that they had translated and recorded, ready to be shared in their villages.

When I wasn’t cleaning, counting or organizing something, I explored the stunning nature all around me. I hiked through a national park, swam in waterfalls and stood on the edge of cliffs. Seeing such beauty always gives me a deeper appreciation for God, his creation and every blessing in my life!

Missionaries from Africa, S. America and Asia, just a few of my English students

Upon returning to Orlando, I jumped right into working with the English exchange program at the Wycliffe Associates headquarters. We had 20 missionaries from all over the world who needed to improve their English. It was an honor to get to know them and give them a useful tool to help do their jobs more effectively.

The next big event on my agenda is a two month trip to Thailand this summer! I’m going with my good friend Dana, and we’ll be working with OMF missionaries there to run an English course at a small-town church. English is a great tool for building friendships and encouraging local believers, especially in a country that is 90% Buddhist. I’m really excited for this new opportunity in a new country and so happy to share it with a friend!

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers over the next few months. Your support and encouragement keeps me going. I couldn’t do any of this without you. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment