Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails... “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. (Pr 19:21, Is 55:8)
Hello dear friends and family! These two Bible verses have been my companions for the past several months. So far 2013 has been a year of readjusting my plans, my attitudes, my hopes, dreams and expectations. Letting go of old plans is tough, but I truly believe that something new is on the horizon. And because my plan to return to Brazil at the beginning of this year didn’t work out, I’ve been able to go places and do things that I never could have planned or imagined otherwise. Flexibility and availability can lead to good things!
In March I was asked to represent Wycliffe Associates at a Bible dedication ceremony in Kenya. These kinds of events are a big deal in the world of Bible translation. It means that an entire language now has a Bible in its mother tongue. This event in Nairobi was especially unique because it was commemorating the completion of the Kenyan Sign Language Bible, which is actually a set of DVDs! While there, I was able to put my skills to use and shoot some short videos for these talented translators, who are currently creating Bible story DVDs in several different African sign languages, and many more in India. Also, a trip to Kenya is incomplete without a visit to some of the friendly wildlife!
I went from one eye-opening experience to the next. In June I was invited to join a translation workshop in Brasilia with a group of gypsies whose native language is completely unwritten. Using recording equipment, we were able to preserve their oral tradition and translate the entire Jesus Film in under three weeks! I served as a tech, recording every translated word. It was a meticulous process, full of revisions, checks, rechecks and many theological discussions. But it was so gratifying to go through each step and see the excitement grow in our gypsy friends. They couldn’t wait the share the film with gypsies all over Brazil and to begin recording more Bible stories. For me, just being in Brazil and speaking Portuguese again was invigorating. Even though I was only there for a few weeks, it was enough to make me more certain than ever that Brazil is where I’m meant to be.
The deaf in Kenya and the gypsies in Brazil showed me that the Bible is not just words printed on paper. Those words are alive and active, and the story is the same whether it’s read, heard, seen or signed. It’s been a huge privilege to be part of such innovative projects that are reaching some of the least reached people on earth. Thank you for going on this journey with me. Your support and prayers make it all possible.
I need your help to get back to Brazil! Would you consider sponsoring me on a monthly basis? My current monthly income is about $600 short. I need to raise this extra money in order to reach the minimum wage requirements, to be able to work full time with Wycliffe Associates and to be eligible for overseas service. I love being in the USA, but long-term mission work in Brazil is really where my heart is!
I understand if you’re unable to commit to monthly donations. Even a one time gift would be tremendously helpful. I’m currently saving up for airline tickets and new luggage. Let me know if you’d like to contribute to either of those funds.
No comments:
Post a Comment