Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Recap, right now, coming soon

A newsletter that I sent out a few weeks ago about what happened, is happening and what I hope will happen soon . . .

Hello my dear friends and family! Thank you so much for taking the time to read these letters, praying for me and going on this journey with me. Last January I left for a year of Portuguese study in Brazil. I completely immersed myself in the language and culture. I lived in a Brazilian family, went to Brazilian churches, made Brazilian friends and studied with Brazilian teachers. Learning a new language is the most challenging, humbling and totally exhausting thing I’ve ever done. But also one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. In the process of mastering the language, I completely fell in love with the culture, history, people, food, coffee (of course) and everything about Brazil! My first assignment with Wycliffe Associates was to learn Portuguese. I’m very happy to say: Mission Accomplished!

As I’ve mentioned before, the plan was always for me to live/work at a missions and Bible translation training center after language school. But about a month before I finished classes I found out that my help wasn’t going to be needed there anymore, at least not right now. This was very discouraging and frustrating because I had intended to go home for the holidays, get a new visa and return to Brazil within a few months. Also, I’m just someone who likes having plans and really doesn’t like when those plans fall apart. But thankfully WA’s main office is in Orlando. So in the midst of catching up on family time and all my favorite American pastimes, I’m still able to be involved with many translation projects while I wait for my opportunity to go back to Brazil.

There are currently 37 languages in the Amazon region that don’t have a word of scripture. One of my projects is to provide laptops to a group of indigenous students who are learning to translate the Bible into their native tongues, as well as equip translators who recently completed the training and are already translating in their villages with solar panels. Laptops and solar panels are two little tools that are really accelerating the rate at which scripture is being translated around the world. Another area where I’m lending some expertise is with deaf translations, i.e. video production. This led to a surprise trip to Kenya at the end of March for the dedication celebration of the Kenyan Sign Language Bible Translation. What a privilege to visit a new country and represent WA at such a joyous event. (Check my blog soon for an update!) Please pray for smooth travels, that God would make a way for me to return to Brazil and that I’d be able to make the most of my time until then. As always, I couldn’t do any of this without you. Thank you for your love and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment