Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Two seasons summary

My Summer and Fall newsletter all wrapped up into one tidy little newsletter here. Enjoy.

"Agradeço ao meu Deus todas as vezes que eu me lembro de vocês! Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy,  for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ..." (Philippians 1)

Dear friends and family: It’s true, I’m extremely grateful to know each of you and to have this partnership where we can serve God and bless others together. Since my last letter to you my Portuguese skills have improved tremendously, and Brazil has continued to charm and inspire me! In June I traveled to the state of Mato Grosso to help with a huge four-day conference of indigenous Christians from all across the Amazon region. There were about 80 tribes represented and a few thousand participants in all. It was held at a training center out on a plateau near Chapada dos Guimarães, where indigenous people are learning to be missionaries to their own tribes and to translate the Bible into their own languages. This is important because they’re the only people who are legally allowed into most of the protected tribal areas in Brazil. The conference was a great chance to practice listening and speaking in Portuguese, experience a little bit of the indian culture, meet lots of missionaries and get to know the place where I’ll be living once I finish language school in Campinas. Already there’s several construction projects being planned and work teams being organized, just waiting to be coordinated and hosted by me when I get there next year.

In August I was able to visit the breathtaking Iguazu Falls with some friends. We spent one day in Brazil and one in Argentina, hiking every single trail and viewing every waterfall from every possible angle. We got drenched many times, and were completely blown away by the vast awesomeness of it all. It’s one of those special places that makes you believe in God all over again!

My student visa expires at the end of this year, so I’ll be home for a few months to apply for a new one. Please keep this complicated and unpredictable process in your prayers. I’d appreciate it! Also, if you’d like to help financially, you can donate here: www.wycliffeassociates.org/links/donatenow. Thank you for your support and encouragement. It’s really an honor to be your representative in Brazil. "Deus te abençoe!" Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment