I recently sent out my first Brazil-related newsletter. If you want to be on my mailing list, let me know. Or you can just stalk my blog, whatev! Here's what the letter said:
Of the more than 6800 language groups in the world, nearly one third don’t have a single verse of scripture in their language. In the Brazilian Amazon there are over 80 different indigenous groups waiting to receive the Bible in their native tongue. Volunteers around the world are on a mission to make God’s word available to everyone in this generation . . .
Dear Friends and Family, it’s my pleasure to tell you that I have been invited to join Wycliffe Associates in this great endeavor. I will be working in the Amazon Basin as a site volunteer coordinator. My role will be to plan and oversee all the details of getting volunteers to Brazil and, once they get there, making sure they have everything they need to be effective and have a really awesome cross-cultural missions experience!
My parents first told me about this position a few years ago. I wasn’t interested at the time; I wanted to stay home for a while and try to make my own way. But after carrying Bibles across the ******* border last summer, I realized what a treasure that book is. (Not to mention how fundamental it is to our faith and every other kind of missionary work out there!) And I remembered how much I love and long to be a part of what God is doing in the world. It didn’t take long for my heart to catch up with the idea of going back into full time missionary work.
Now I am really looking forward to stepping into something completely new and foreign. Rather than relying entirely on myself, as I have been lately, I’m moving into a season where I have no choice but to rely fully on God. That’s a little scary at times. Because I don’t exactly know what I’m getting into, or IF I can do it, or HOW I will do it. However I am confident that this is where I’m meant to be, and I believe amazing things will happen . . . to me and through me. Part of the deal with going on this journey with God is that I must also rely on a back-at-home support base. I literally can not do anything without the financial and prayer support of friends and family. Would you consider supporting me on a monthly basis? You can help make the Bible available to someone in Brazil. Let me be your representative, and we’ll go on this adventure together!
I’m hoping to begin language school in September, providing I’m able to obtain a Visa and raise enough support for Wycliffe to let me go! In my next letter I’ll talk more about language school, what my job will entail and where in Brazil I may be headed. Please contact me with any questions or comments. Lots of love and thanks . . . Kelly
www.wycliffeassociates.org/links/donatenow
No comments:
Post a Comment