

Two things about me: I used to work on that ship, and I currently work at this Starbucks.
When the Anastasis went to meet her scrapper in 2007 she was way past her prime. She'd served well and was dearly loved. She valiantly hung in there until her replacement arrived. But it was so time. People who lived onboard used words like "homey" and "lived in" as a way of dealing with the constant state of everything falling to crap. Floods, fires and various sewage mishaps contributed to the charming personality of the ship. She really was a beauty, and I usually choose to remember the many good times we had. Now I feel like I'm living in history repeating. My Starbucks desperately needs to get bulldozed and just started all over. But we hang on, the elusive remodel date looming somewhere on the horizon. With each new crack and leak we just throw up our hands and laugh. What're ya gonna do? ...when you're fighting a losing battle. Even though it's being held together mostly by tape and velcro, it's got character and we love it. We'll miss it when it's gone. But just like the new ship did, I'm sure our new Starbucks will eventually feel like home too.
3 comments:
Your post reminds me of Battlestar Galactica and yet it is anchored in our reality.
I am glad that I got to be on that ship for a little while.
You have an awesome life story Kelly!
oh yeah, for the record i was on the Anastasis not Galactica
Haha! Those Cylons were on to something...
Post a Comment