Sunday, May 27, 2012
So it begins
Here's my latest newsletter summing up the first few months in Brazil . . .
"Olá" and hello from the big little city of Campinas! I arrived here in January and was immediately charmed by the cobblestone streets, numerous bakeries and welcoming residents. Campinas is situated in the state of São Paulo, a few hours west of the Atlantic Ocean and the mega-city of São Paulo itself. I came here specifically to study Portuguese for a year, the first step on my mission to help Wycliffe Associates accelerate Bible translation in Brazil, as well as several other Portuguese speaking countries in Africa and Asia.
A few months into my studies now, and I can’t believe how far I’ve come already. I have classes a few hours every day, five days a week, with two different teachers, and no classmates! All the one-on-one attention is quite intense, but very effective. I’ve made some great friends, both Brazilians and fellow missionary students. I live with a wonderful woman named Zezé who feeds me very very well and makes me feel at home. I’ve had opportunities to experience a real live soccer game, visit the beach, get involved with a few local churches and do lots of exploring around Campinas, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. This has been great fun and a huge learning experience. Being completely immersed in a new language and culture is one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done. But it’s given me a great appreciation for how truly special it is to hear and understand something in my own native tongue. Something you don’t really appreciate until, suddenly, you can’t anymore! I’m more grateful than ever to be part of such a meaningful and worthwhile mission. Also, Brazil is an absolute pleasure, and for the first time in a long time I feel like I’m exactly where I’m meant to be.
I’ll leave Campinas for a few months this summer to help facilitate a huge indigenous Christian leaders conference in Cuiabá, in the middle of Brazil, where I’ll eventually be based after language school. Following the conference I’ll return to Campinas to finish off my year of studies. My teachers say that by the end of the year I should be adequately fluent! Of course the learning will never end.
Thank you again for your support, encouragement, standing with me and just believing in me. I couldn’t do any of this without you. Please keep me in your prayers. You are appreciated! "Deus te abençoe!" Love, Kelly

1 comment:
Hi Kelly!
I just wanted to thank you for adding my blog (Portuguese Blog) to your favorites list. How wonderful that you are doing missionary work in Brazil! I have read a few of your posts, and it sounds like you are having an interesting experience. I have been meaning to write a post on missionary projects in Brazil, or more specifically Evangelical christianity in Brazil. I love how you went to the acampamento during Carnaval, this is something that I would love to write about. I am evangelical christian and I attend a Brazilian church here in the States, but I honestly miss being part of the movement in Brazil.
If you are interested, I would love it if you would write a guest post on Portuguese Blog so that people have more of an idea about things like acampamentos, retiros, conferencias and about christianity in general right now in Brazil.
Let me know if you are interested, and God bless!!
Laurena
portugueseblogger at gmail dot com
Post a Comment